If you are in the service industry, then you know just how important it is to possess good customer service skills, at all times, and especially during the holiday season. The reality is that first impressions make all the difference in the world, especially with clients and customers. And, if you know how to make a great first impression, you are well on your way to making even more sales, gaining the trust and admiration of current and new clients and customers, and gaining positive recognition from fellow employees, co-workers, and managers.
The reality is that good customer service skills are actually not that hard to follow, but they take a certain je ne sais quoi to work correctly, and be memorable. You must have the heart to follow through and treat every customer and client you encounter with a tremendous amount of respect, courtesy, and assistance. If you are looking to make more money and garner a great reputation for yourself and your business, make sure to lead with wonderful customer service each and every time.
Here are 20 customer service skills you should remember, especially during the holidays:
- A Positive Attitude – A positive attitude is paramount to your success with customers. Be happy, joyful, and don’t forget to smile.
- Going The Extra Mile – The point is to be remembered by customers long after they leave. Go the extra mile whenever possible.
- Being Helpful & Kind – Kindness goes a long way in the service industry. Always show kindness, and maintain a helpful demeanor.
- Listening To Their Requests – Especially during the holidays, many customers have special requests, try to accommodate these requests to the best of your ability.
- Always Stay Attentive To Their Needs – If a customer asks for something, help them as soon as possible. Make them feel important and valued.
- Smile – Smiling is always a great idea in the customer service world.
- Using Their Name in Conversation – This is a trick used to gain a customer’s trust. Just don’t overdo it.
- Saying Thank You – Common courtesy is very important in the business and service world. Always say thank you.
- Using Small Talk Wisely – When a customer asks you a question, it’s best to keep small talk to a minimum.
- Time Management Skills – Many customers are in a hurry, help them in as efficient way as possible.
- Giving Them The Answers They Are Looking For – If a customer wants to know something, find a way to answer their question.
- Greet Them Warmly – A good first impression is vital. Always remember to warmly greet all of your customers.
- Be A Problem Solver – If a customer has a problem, find a way to fix it or make it better.
- Appearing Professional At All Times – In order to gain new customers, appear professional at all times, this includes the way you dress and the way you act.
- Maintaining Eye Contact – Maintaining eye contact with customers is paramount.
- Anticipate What They Need – Get customers what they need before they ask for it, get to know the art of anticipating correctly.
- Assisting When Necessary – If you want to make a good impression with customers, go above and beyond, and assist when necessary.
- Have Good Product/Service Knowledge – Show customers you can help by being knowledgeable about the item, product, or service in question.
- Communicate Clearly – If a customer asks you a question, the best way to answer is in a clear, concise fashion.
- Patience, Patience, Patience – This is one of the most important aspects towards good customer service. No matter what happens, always stay patient.